Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Tagalog Lessons for expats and foreigners in Manila

Are you an expat or foreign visitor staying in Manila?Do you want to learn at least the basic conversation and words of Tagalog? In just less than a month, learn it and be confident when to talking to local people! Or are you having problems with grammar, pronunciation, and reading? Worry no more! I can teach you!

Why do you need to study Tagalog?

Tagalog is the major language use by Filipinos living in National Capital Region, located in Manila on Luzon Island.Learning Tagalog while in Manila or other parts of Philippines will not make you communicate easier with local residents but they'll find it amazing. Someone who came from outside the Philippines (except for OFWs) is understood to speak his/her native-tongue or is an English-speaker. Learning Tagalog will also make you understand the culture and traditions of Filipino people too. You will more likely get familiar with our history and why some of our commonly-used words are Spanish. You'll not get frustrated while eating your favorite Filipino street food or dish because you know what is it called and the ingredients of the cuisine. Moreover, Tagalog words like "kaliwa"(left) or "kanan"(right) will help you going to a certain place without wasting too much time while riding a taxi. If you are familiar with these directions you can guide the taxi driver the correct way and reach your desired location.


How much time do you need to learn Tagalog?

Like other languages, Tagalog has a unique and standard system in grammar and alphabet. But you don't really need to enroll in a school and spend too much money just to learn the basics. You just need 1 hour a day, 2-3x a week, have a man-to-man classes with a private tutor,and within a month you will learn the basic conversation and useful words good when you are traveling Philippines.


What is man-to-man teaching?
Man-to-man teaching is an approach where in the student and the tutor /language teacher faces one another in person. Also known as face-to-face teaching. The tutor/language teacher will tell the student to follow set of instructions,to read words, and answer exercises.In this way, the tutor can see if the student is really listening and check if the learner's comprehensive is good. Direct corrections on pronunciation and reading is observe.

Who I teach?
I can teach (expats) Americans,Englishmen and women, foreign kids, Japanese, Koreans, French, Chinese and anyone who would like to learn Tagalog Lessons. It is important that you can at least speak English to be able to communicate. I also offer English lessons for English learners.

Schedules

Contact me first if you are interested in private tutoring. Use the contact form on the Contact Tutor page.Then, I will let you know about my free schedules because I also give private Tagalog lessons to other expats in certain days of a week and time.Lastly, we need to make a good schedule for you so that it will not affect your work or studies and my schedules too. Please submit your preferred class days. Example of a schedule:
MONDAYS-WEDNESDAYS-FRIDAYS 3-4pm or 5-6pm
TUESDAYS and THURSDAYS 2-3pm or 6-7pm
SATURDAYS and SUNDAYS 4-5pm

Rates

I have a regular rates for students living in Taguig City which is P300.00-P350.00 per student/session. For those living in Makati, Pasig,and Ortigas, it's P350.00-P450.00 Still depends on how far is your place. P400.00 and above for residents of Pasay,Manila, Rizal,Parañaque, and Quezon City . One session is good for one full hour with one five (5) minutes break.
NOTE: Right now, I don't offer online teaching.

Venues

I conduct lessons at coffee shops, snack house with few people around, in your condo or at your home.
Man-to-man teaching is not available for students living at Las Piñas City, Valenzuela City, and Cavite.

Contract Signing and Payment

This Private Tutorial Service has contract signing. The student and tutor will have to sign the contract and each one will have a copy. I guarantee you that this is a genuine transaction. I give photocopy of my identification card to my new students and also my current learners can confirm that I really teach.You can also take a picture of me if you just like ^_^V
About the payment, the requirement is 50% advance down payment from the total tutorial fee but in some cases I can accept a weekly payment. I don't accept door-to-door cash delivery nor a bank deposit, so please be careful with other people who are pretending to be tutors.

Teaching Methods

Powerpoint presentations
I made each lesson presented in Powerpoint. Each contains the lesson number,topic title, details, explanation, English translations, pictures, and exercise after each lesson.
Books

I use published books like educational textbooks in Filipino (the books use by elementary and high schools)because they are dependable resources about Filipino grammar system. The book entitled Makabagong Alpabeto,mga unang hakbang sa pagbasa is available in leading bookstores for only P8.50. This book is the common material in teaching kids. I only use this when giving 10-15 minutes free demo class.


I suggest this another book,Basic Tagalog for foreigners and Non-Tagalog speakers, which is a copyrighted material. If you don't want to have private man-to-man Tagalog lessons this book will help you in your self-studying. I found this book very interesting and I recommend this to all Tagalog teachers and learners.The book cost P1, 600-P1,700.00 in leading bookstores and what is good about it, an audio cd is in the package.



Oral and Written Tests

After every 2-3 lessons I give oral and written tests to the students. The first part is verbal exam and the second is written where in the student will answer questions on a test paper.


Review
Before continuing the previous lesson I provide 3-4 minutes to review about the past topics and this way I could evaluate everyday if the student is learning.


Flashcards
The use of flashcards will help to develop the student's comprehension and remembering pieces of information. Flashcards also make the learning even more fun.


----------------------


Well, I started teaching this year. 1st week of March 2011. It's not easy to get student because of trust issues and so many scammers online. After 3 weeks of updating my online ads and waiting for my 1st student, all my hardships were paid well.But anyway, I hope you will try my service.

To know more about this you could also send me email about the tutor and other inquiries.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I want to take tagalog lessons. My email is besaygonzalez@gmail.com

I wait for your news :) Thanks

Crystal Yorker said...

My kids are now 14 and 12, and I am so glad that I was able to teach them that you can actually make a good living without being subjected to the grind of a regular 9 to 5 with a boss breathing down your next. My son (14) just started doing freelance data entry on www.workersoncall.com and I couldn't be prouder!